Most people take an “out of sight, out of mind” approach to their attic insulation. We all know we have it and we may use our attic as a storage space but we aren’t likely to take notice of the effectiveness of the attic insulation. It may seem warm in the summer and cold in the winter, but does it really matter since you are only up there for a few minutes at a time?
The answer is Yes! The trouble is that even if you don’t take notice of the state of the insulation in your attic, that doesn’t mean it isn’t having an impact on your home.
How Poor Attic Insulation Affects You
The effects of poor attic insulation are not limited to the rooms on the top floor. A poorly insulated attic can affect your comfort levels throughout your entire home.
Some of the many signs and effects of failing attic insulation include:
- Variations in room temperature: if you step from room to room and notice variable temperatures, your attic insulation could be the culprit. Assuming that there are no drafty windows in the rooms in questions, it’s likely time to look upwards towards your attic. Poor insulation will drain the heat from your home in the winter and allow warm air inside during the summer. This problem will be more noticeable in rooms that have an access point into your attic.
- Higher energy bills: rising costs may not be the only thing causing your utility bills to increase. Poor attic insulation leads to drafty homes, meaning your furnace and air conditioner will have to work overtime to keep the house at your desired temperature.
- Mold growth: you will need to enter your attic to check for this (make sure to wear a mask). If your attic space smells musty or feels damp, you could have mold growing in your space. You should be looking for visibly wet insulation, black mold and even wet stains on your roofs sheathing. These are clear signs that you may have a leak in your roof that has soiled your insulation. If this is the case, you will need to contact a roofing company to repair the leak in your roof.
When Should You Replace Your Insulation
Attic insulation can last for a very long time. The problems arise when external factors (like leaky roofs) prematurely ruin your insulation. There are many situations that can arise where it may be a good idea to have a professional inspect your insulation:
- You have recently had a leak in your roof
- You have recently had an animal or insect infestation in your attic
- You have recently moved into an older home
- There are noticeable changes in temperature throughout your home
- Your attic space smells musty or appears damp
- You notice many ice dams forming on your roof during the winter
Get on Our Schedule Right Away
At Schmidt Roofing, we are qualified to inspect your insulation and let you know if it needs to be replaced. If you know you have a problem, or are uncertain if your insulation needs replacing, contact us today for a free attic insulation estimate.