Have you recently purchased an old house? Has it been decades since you’ve had a window replacement? Old windows are more than simply unpleasant to look at. They are drafty, they waste energy and increase your utility bills, and they make for a less than comfortable living environment. Thankfully, window replacement is affordable and easy, and it’s not hard to identify if it needs to be done.
These are the telltale signs of old windows that need to be replaced.
Look with Your Eyes
Old windows have several key visual indicators that they are getting too old to perform well. When observing your windows, look for these things:
- Excessive condensation trapped between the panes of glass
- Peeling, chipping, or cracking around the sides of the window where it is sealed
- Old or rotten wooden window frames
- Water stains on the window frame or the wall underneath
- Ice accumulation in the winter
Listen with Your Ears
The sounds around your window will tell you if it is too old and needs to be replaced. If you hear any of these sounds, it’s likely time:
- Excessive outdoor noise
- Faint whistling sounds (this is a sign of a draft)
- Squeaking, grinding, or creaking noises when they are opened or closed
Feel with Your Hands
Simply feeling around your window can let you know if it is properly sealed or if the window is too old to form an airtight seal. Touch the glass on the windows and run your hand around the window frame to feel for:
- Drafts and small gusts of air
- Excessive cold or warm spots (depending on the season)
If your windows stick or are hard to open or close, they are likely too old and need to be replaced.
Look at Your Energy Bills
If you have noticed increases in your heating or air conditioning bills, it means that your house is no longer properly sealed, which is largely due to your windows. Every window is an open hole in your house. New, properly sealed windows will save you money as your energy costs go down.
Still unsure if you need new windows? Let us help. We can give you a no-obligation quote on your window replacement. Get in touch with us today.