While the weather has remained fairly warm in most parts of the country throughout this November, that doesn’t mean winter isn’t right around the corner. Before you know it, the snow and freezing cold temperatures will be upon us.
As a homeowner, you want to make sure that your home is ready by the time the winter weather catches up with you, rather than waiting until it is already too late. As roofing contractors in MN, we know what goes into getting your house ready for the winter – it’s more than just hanging up a few holiday decorations. That’s why we have put together a short “Winter Preparation Checklist” to help you get your house ready.
Make sure you make the following preparations:
- Make sure that your home is properly insulated to keep heating costs low.
- Change out your furnace filter (they usually last about 90 days).
- Clean out your fireplaces and chimneys.
- Test out your heating system to make sure your thermostats are working.
- Remove your window air-conditioning units and seal the windows.
- Check your smoke alarms.
- Replace all screens doors with glass panes or storm doors.
- Replace your window screens with storm windows.
- Inspect window frames and glass for cracks that need to be sealed. Replace the windows, if necessary.
- Turn off your exterior water faucets and drain your irrigation system.
- Get rid of all those leaves!
- Clean your gutters (hopefully for the final time!). Replace any broken portions or downspouts.
- Check your roof for missing shingles, or have a professional team come to make sure that your shingles are intact.
- Check your siding too for any cracks, loose pieces, or holes.
Get a Free Estimate on Any Job
Winter brings with it harsh weather that puts a lot of stress on your roof, siding, windows, gutters and more. If you think that you something needs to be replaced, or if you want a professional to inspect it, contact Schmidt Roofing today for a no obligation free estimate!