It’s not always easy to tell when parts of your home are aged or beginning to fail. Most homeowners can’t tell that something is wrong with their roof, windows, etc. until they have water leaking into their home. That’s why it is so important to constantly check your home for possible renovations.
Families, just like businesses, plan their years around their budget. As we move further into 2017, and with tax season just around the corner, you may find yourself with a bit more money that you can potentially invest to invest in your home. This is the best time to start planning the renovations you want done on your home.
If you notice any signs of aging or decay, or if you don’t know how old your roof, siding, etc. are, contact an exteriors professional to help you make the determination of whether or not it’s time for an upgrade.
Here are a few places you can check on your own:
Checking your roof may sound like a daunting task, but it’s actually quite easy. There’s no need to get out a ladder and climb onto your roof looking for signs of wear and tear, as many signs that you need a new roof can be spotted right from your yard.
Some things you should look for include:
- Cracked, curled or missing shingles
- Extensive moss growth
- Shingle granules (these small specks can often be spotted in your gutters or even throughout your yard
Questions to ask yourself:
- How old is your roof?
- Do you remember replacing the roof?
- Did the previous homeowner?
Most shingles will reach the end of their lifespan within 20-30 years. If you have no idea, call an exteriors expert to give you their professional opinion.
2016 was an extremely wet year for the Midwest. For the Twin Cities, it was the wettest year on record, meaning that all the gutters in Minneapolis and St. Paul had their work cut out for them and were put to the test.
To make sure that your gutters are all set for what is likely to be a wet spring, keep an eye out for these signs that they need to be replaced:
- Cracked or split seams
- Sagging or separation from the roof
- Pools of water around your foundation
- Peeling paint (this could indicate that water has been cascading down the side of your home
Are you feeling a draft this winter? This is one of the many signs that your windows need to be replaced. Some of the other telltale signs that you should look out for are:
- Cracked/split window frames and glass panes
- Excessive condensation or frost on the glass
- Leaks or seeping water
- Bugs or insects around the inside of the window
- Windows appear dirty in between the panes
Before the rain hits this spring, make sure that your siding is properly protecting your house by looking for these signs of aging:
- Rotting (for wood siding)
- Bent, warped or cracked panels
- Mold, mildew or fungal growth
- Excessive fading or peeling of paint
Get a Free Estimate on Your Renovations
If you see any of these signs on your home, don’t hesitate to call the professionals at Schmidt Roofing. We will quickly dispatch a team to inspect your home and give you a free and fair estimate on the work that needs to be done. Contact us today to get a quick response!