Hail damage is an inevitable fate for many Minnesotan homeowners. While summer is a reprieve from the frigid winter temperatures, the one downfall it brings is stormy weather. After a storm, it is essential for homeowners to check the exterior of their house for signs of hail damage. Quick action will allow you to prevent further damage to your home and have the costs recovered by your insurance company.
How to Check for Hail Damage
Checking for hail damage is easy if you know what to look for. There are a few obvious signs of damage, while others are a bit more hard to spot if you are unfamiliar with home exterior repairs. If a storm has recently moved through your area and you are uncertain if your home has suffered hail damage, contact your local roofing company to have your home examined.
Once the weather clears up, go outside and look for these common signs of hail damage:
- Cracked, chipped or dented roofing shingles.
- For asphalt or composition shingles, look for small circles where the granules have flaked off.
- If you then look on the ground, you may see small black granules that have fallen of the roof.
- When checking your siding, look for cracks and splits in the seams where the different pieces meets. This can allow water to seep under the siding, causing it to warp.
- Check windows and skylights for cracks.
- Check your gutters for dents and to see if they are still firmly attached to your home.
What to Do if You Have Hail Damage
If you suspect that you have had hail damage take place, you should begin to document it right away. Take pictures of the damage and note the time and date that the storm took place. Before you hire a company to make any repairs, contact your insurance company to make sure that you are covered for the costs.
If you work with Schmidt Roofing, we will work directly with your insurance company to ensure that all the paperwork is filed properly and that you get the full amount of reimbursement that your insurance company allows.
The Estimate is Always Free
Don’t allow any roofing companies to charge you for an estimate, and never agree to pay for any work until you have been in contact with your insurance company. At Schmidt Roofing, we are happy to help you through the process and will help you navigate the insurance paperwork, give you a free estimate and take care of all necessary repairs. If you suspect hail damage on your home, contact Schmidt Roofing today.